At the completion of a project, one of the final steps is a thorough inspection of the job site to make sure everything is clean, safe, and organized. As such, before finally turning over the key, additional work, including full cleaning of the entire facility, known as post-construction cleaning, is crucial. Brouwer Brothers Steamatic is the leader in commercial construction cleaning in Chigaco and the surrounding areas, and in this piece, we discuss in depth what is included in the post-construction cleaning process.
What is Post-Construction Cleaning?
Post-construction cleaning involves cleaning after a construction project is finally completed. Until the post-construction cleaning has been carried out, a construction project isn’t considered fully complete. Cleaning up after a construction project ensures the building is in tip-top condition and presentable to the client. Some of the tasks involved in post-construction cleaning include:
- Ensuring the walls are free from dirt, smudges, and marks
- Dusting the ceiling, lights, fans, and heaters
- Sticker removal from furniture, windows, and doors
- Cleaning the floors, especially the corners and edges
- Cleaning all the appliances, shelves, and cabinets
- Vacuum, trim, and threshold cleaning
- HVAC / Air Duct cleaning to remove construction dirt and debris
The Different Phases of Post-Construction Cleaning
Post-construction cleaning is typically divided into three phases. Each phase helps ensure the building is immaculate and has no issues that could cause the client any problems.
Phase 1: Rough Cleaning
This is the first stage of post-construction cleaning. Rough cleaning involves removing large items like trash, debris, leftover materials, and other items that cannot be vacuumed. After that, general sweeping will follow. It also includes removing stickers from doors and windows but not cleaning them.
Phase 2: Light Cleaning
This stage has the most work to handle. In addition, it also requires a lot of cleaning equipment and tools. Rooms that serve a unique purpose receive much more attention, like the kitchen and restrooms. Areas such as the sinks, windows, countertops, fixtures, toilets, and cabinets are thoroughly cleaned during this phase. Most clients hire a professional cleaning service for this particular phase.
Phase 3: Final Cleaning Phase
This is also known as the touch-up phase and happens a few days after the light cleaning. Waiting a few days ensures the dust and dirt settle, and the cleaning crew can pay more attention to it. Since we’re dealing with minor imperfections like smudges, fingerprints, and the like, the process takes a shorter time than the previous phases.
Why is Post-Construction Cleaning Essential?
The following are the benefits of post-construction cleaning:
- It’s safer and cleaner: A clean construction site is safe. When a construction team isn’t diligent about cleaning on the job, items that could cause harm may be left lying around.
- Proper equipment and expertise: Cleaning up a construction site requires specialized tools and equipment. Workers must also wear personal protective equipment to avoid inhaling toxic fumes and substances.
- Proper debris disposal: While cleaning up the debris is important, it is only half the battle. It’s crucial to dispose of it properly. Companies must comply with OSHA waste disposal guidelines to ensure different types of material are properly and legally disposed of.
- Leave a good impression: Making a great impression on your clients is vital for repeat business and referrals. Since a customer has invested significantly in their construction project, presenting the final product in its best light is key.
Leave the Mess to the Experts: Brouwer Brothers Steamatic’s Professional Cleaning Services
Whether it’s a renovation or a new project, the goal is to have the final result look great. Cleaning up is necessary not only to get rid of dirt and debris but also to give the space the finishing touch it needs. With over 50 years in the industry, Brouwer Brothers Steamatic is your trusted professional residential and commercial cleaning service provider. We are committed to offering our clients distinctive services using the most innovative equipment. Contact us today for more information about our post-construction cleaning services.